New Year, New Resolutions
Happy New Year! For those of you who missed PSY & MC Hammer performing on Dick Clark’s New Year’s Rockin’ Eve (is it still called that?), check it out here.
I haven’t had much time to think about New Year’s resolutions, but now that the holiday hubbub has quieted down, I’ve started to reflect on the past year and what I hope to accomplish in 2013.
First, a look back on 2012.
This isn’t a very long list, mainly because I’m having a hard time remembering what happened aside from a few big things - plus I don’t want to bore you with 100 bullets. So a quick snapshot:
- Came back from maternity leave @ the beginning of the year and figured out how to be a working mom. I don’t think there’s any such thing as “work/life balance” - it’s more of a “work/life juggle.”
- Completed two successful accelerator batches and took over the reins of running the 500 Accelerator program.
- Celebrated the wedding of one of my dear friends. Honored to have been a bridesmaid in such a beautiful, meticulously planned wedding.
- Welcomed one of BYT’s newest friends.
- Celebrated my mom’s 60th birthday.
- Celebrated BYT’s 1st birthday!!!
- Moved into our new house, which is always a work in progress.
- Had the HUGE honor of introducing two Star Trek stars at separate events - LeVar Burton at our MamaBear conference and George Takei at a special talk at the office. (see photos at the end of the post)
- Last but not least, had so much fun watching BYT grow from a baby into a full fledged toddler who has endless energy and endless appetite. He loves FOOD (especially Sweet Tomatoes, his favorite restaurant), riding in his push car, Nickey and Snowball, dancing to upbeat music, Pororo, cars, trains, exploring new things, meeting new people, and taking baths because he loves playing in the water. If his current personality is a strong indication of what he’ll be like when he grows up, then we hope he’ll grow up into a cheery, positive, sociable boy who’s active, athletic, and loves to learn. :) (To quote Phoebe from Friends: “Are you guys talking about the same kid?”)
I have a few aspirational resolutions for 2013, and a few that are very specific goals. Here they are below. Surprisingly (or maybe not), many of them touch upon very basic necessities:
- Take at least 1 ballet class before the end of January.
- Eat a well-balanced diet.
- Get more sleep.
- Be more optimistic.
- Make 2013 the most transformative, productive, and prosperous year for 500 Startups.
- Continue to absorb the startup / investor ecosystem in Korea. (a market which I’ve been personally interested for a long time) I hope that in the Spring 2013 accelerator batch, at least 1 company will hail from Korea.
- Visit the Doughnut Plant.
- Watch more Michelle Phan.
- Blog more regularly.
- Take time to enjoy life more.
LeVar was so sweet and charming.
George was awesome.
Interestingly enough, both of these characters guest starred on one of my favorite TV shows (Big Bang Theory).